Sunday, March 30, 2008

Jalapa's

Last night we went to a birthday party for our new little niece that was born on Easter. Her name is Rhianna and she is a beautiful little girl. Her parents are Mike’s brother and his wife, Sarah and Brad. Now, Sarah is from Morocco so we got to be part of the Muslim celebration. The tradition is that one week after the baby is born they sacrifice a lamb, give the new baby a name, and then they have a big party with all kinds of food and everyone wears the traditional Jalapa (I have no clue how to spell that) but it's a really fancy robe. When we got to the party they invited us upstairs to pick out a Jalapa that we got to wear for the evening. Ours aren't as fancy as the traditional ones for parties, but they were still fun to wear. We couldn't help but play around in them, as you can see. Mike pulled his hood over his head and pretended to be the grim reaper. It was so funny!

The Grim Reaper

All we are missing in this pic is Yoda, R2D2, and a light saber!

My Jalapa

This is the food we ate. There is some chicken, a cauliflower and cheese dish, a pea salad, and the traditional lamb with some spaghetti squash looking casserole. And it was really good!




3 comments:

Josh and Michelle said...

I love the babys name, so pretty. The Grim reaper freaks me out.

Becca Rowe said...

Ok, that sounds AWESOME and I love your costumes!

Anonymous said...

Hey hey, nice blog! Josh didnt show up at 1130 did he? jk he he. You guys are an awesome family. Sorry I couldnt help sunday mike, but I promise I will after conference.
Steve: "If there is anything I can do to help, just call me..."
Mike (on phone):" hey steve, could you help me..?"
Steve: "no sorry..."
I'll make up for it, I promise ;)